The Tournament for 2017 on the Geronimo and Cochise Courses at Desert Mountain in Scottsdale, Arizona, will be a combination of invitation and open entry application.
The following players are automatically eligible to enter:
(Eligibility under the Rankings will be determined at time of entry)
Exemptions Based on Amateur Events:
1. Top 500 in Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking (SPWAR)
2. Top 200 World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR)
3. 2017 Arizona Stroke Play champion
4. All exempt for current year United States Amateur
Exemptions Based on Collegiate Events:
5. Top 200 in Golfweek Division 1 Men's Ranking
6. Top 200 in Golfstat Division 1 Men's Ranking
7. Top 20 in Golfstat Division 2 Men's Ranking
8. Top 10 in Golfstat Division 3 Men's Ranking
Exemptions Based on Junior Events:
9. Top 20 Golfweek Junior Boys Ranking
10. Top 20 AJGA Polo Boy's Ranking
11. Top 20 Junior Golf Scoreboard Ranking
12. All 2015 AJGA Rolex First-Team Boys Junior All-Americans
Exemptions Based on Southwestern Amateur Championships:
13. Top 25 & ties from previous year's Championship
14. Champions of the last 10 years (2007–2016)
Exemptions based on Special Considerations or Invitation:
15. Reigning Desert Mountain Club Champion
16. Special exemptions as selected by the Southwestern Golf Association
All other amateurs with a handicap index of 1.4 or better are encouraged to apply. Entry will close at 5:00 PM MST on April 30, 2017.
Note: Players also considering US Open qualifying should choose their sectional qualifying site carefully.
The Selection Committee will make the final field selections and post the field by May 5, 2017. Players notified of their acceptance and have confirmed this with the Selection Committe are in the field. All other entries will be subject to our selection criteria. Players that do not make the field will be placed on a waiting list.
Reminder: Play will be on two courses so schedule your practice rounds accordingly.
At the 2017 Shell Houston Open, Southwestern Golf Association President, John Ranslem, met with former Southwestern Amateur champion JT Poston (2013).
JT earned his PGTour card by ending up in the top 25 on the Web.com Tour in 2016. He has made the cut in most of the 2017 PGA events he has entered.
At the Genesis Open he was paired in the first two rounds with Kevin Dougherty, our 2012 champion and first runner up to JT in 2013. Read more....
Enjoy Desert Mountain for the week!
For players who miss the 36 hole cut, Desert Mountain has agreed to provide playing access to two of its other Jack Nicklaus Signature Courses on Friday and Saturday of tournament week. So plan to stay the week!
The longest running amateur golf tournament in the southwestern United States returns for a third year at Scottsdale's premier private golf and recreational community.